Question from MS in USA Fall 2012 Facebook Group.
I have a query about my name on the I-20. I had an old passport without my surname inclusion in it, so i had applied for the reissue of my passport and received it recently.
The name on my I-20 is as per the name in the old passport. Can i attend the visa interview with this I-20. Below are the names as per my old passport, I-20 and new passport.
Name as per Old passport:
- Surname: – BLANK
- Given name: Sxx Jxx Axx
- Name as per I-20: Sxx Jxx Axx
Name as per new passport:
- Surname: Sxx
- Given name: Jxx Axx
Name Mismatch Passport and I-20
First, you did the right thing by changing your name in the passport (adding surname).
- Missing Surname Problems in Passport (and solution)
To attend Visa interview, name in the I-20 should match the name in the Passport.
- Send a copy of new passport to the university and explain that you have new passport with different name.
- They will issue you new I-20.
- Attend F1 Visa interview with your new I-20 (Sample I-20 Form).