Looking for Best GRE Prep Books for 2022-2023? I have seen several emails from my readers asking for the best GRE Test Prep book and software. In this article, you will find Best GRE Books 2022, reviews and recommendations for GRE Test Takers.
- FACT: Preparing for GRE Exam preparation takes a lot of time and effort.
- FACT: Score Improvement come over consistent practice and effort
Some test takers prefer books over classes or to supplement classes. Some prefer to register for GRE classes in addition to books. But, I haven’t seen any test taker without access to at least one book. Here’re my recommended Best GRE Books for 2018 and 2019
Best GRE Prep Books 2022
The following books are listed based on the order of preference. Ratings for the books are listed below.
- Official ETS GRE Guide – Super Power Pack (3 books)
- The Official Guide to the GRE General Test
- Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions
- Official GRE® Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions
- 5 lb Book of GRE Practice Problems (New Edition in Dec 2018)
- Manhattan GRE Prep Books (Refer to the Table Below)
Manhattan GRE Prep Books 2022-2023
|Manhattan GRE Prep Books
(Before Sep 2018)
|Manhattan GRE Prep Books (Now)|
|1||Algebra GRE Strategy Guide||GRE Math Strategies (6 books combined & updated into 1 Book)|
|2||Fractions, Decimals, & Percents GRE Strategy Guide|
|3||Geometry GRE Strategy Guide|
|4||Number Properties GRE Strategy Guide|
|5||Word Problems GRE Strategy Guide|
|6||Quantitative Comparisons & Data Interpretation GRE Strategy Guide|
|7||Reading Comprehension & Essays GRE Strategy Guide||GRE Verbal Strategies (2 books Combined & Updated into 1 Book)|
|8||Text Completion & Sentence Equivalence GRE Strategy Guide|
|9||Buy Manhattan GRE Books (8 books)||Buy GRE Math and Verbal Strategies (2 Books)|
In addition to the above GRE Prep books, you can find so several other books from different publishers. Should you buy them? Keep reading.
Keys to GRE Test Prep:
- Know your skill level (What’s your score today?)
- Create a Study Plan (based on your target score, target universities)
- Know how hard you can push yourself (a study plan is of no use unless you know your limits)
- How long it would take for you to reach the target score (hard work and grit)
Even the best GRE Books can take do only so much and take you closer to your goals, but every test taker is limited by the time and ability.
More than the choice of books, you need to know about your test prep and GRE test-taking ability.
How long would it take for you to see improve a score by 5 points? It’s easy to improve your scores from 140 to 145 to 150. But, every point increase beyond 150 requires effort and time.
Can you set a realistic target GRE score based on your previous academic skills and performances?
One of the frequently asked question – How many GRE Test Prep books to buy?
Let me give you a few examples.
- Student 1: Self-Prep with Books and without paying for online test prep companies. This person would need several books (practice questions and full-length practice tests).
- Student 2: Instructor lead GRE Prep course and online GRE Practice Tests. This person would need at least Manhattan and ETS GRE Prep Books
Best GRE Prep Books 2022 – Reviews with Ratings
- Official ETS GRE Guide – Super Power Pack – (10/10)
- Manhattan GRE Math and Verbal Strategies Books – Set of 2 books (10/10)
- 5 lb Book of GRE Practice Problems (10/10)
- Cracking the New GRE with DVD (6/10)
- Kaplan GRE Premier with Online Test (7/10)
- Nova GRE Math Prep Course (6/10)
- Gruber’s New GRE Guide (4/10)
5lb Manhattan Book of GRE Practice Problems (Video)
Top GRE Quantitative Books
Here are few books for GRE Quantitative Sections – Strategies, and Practice Test.
- 500 GRE Math Flash Cards (Manhattan)
- Manhattan GRE Prep Books – (Includes Books for Algebra, Word Problems, Trigonometry)
- Nova GRE Math Prep Course
- Kaplan GRE Exam Math Workbook
Top GRE Verbal Books
Here are few books for preparing for GRE Verbal section. Most students will have to spend more time on Verbal section prep than the math section.
After identifying your weak Verbal sections, pick up few books to improve your specific weak sections within verbal.
- Manhattan GRE Prep Books (Verbal GRE Guide)
- Manhattan Reading Comprehension
- GRE Vocab Capacity Over 800 Powerful Memory Tricks and Mnemonics
Books for GRE Practice Tests
For additional GRE Practice tests, you may have to buy Kaplan and other test prep books as you will run out of the Practice tests with the above books.
In an ideal world, you should take 1.5x practice test every day for the last 10 days before the GRE test date.
That’s a lot of practice tests to take. You need access to several practice tests to reach that goal.
When you practice with 1.5x tests (7 sections) in one sitting, you are training your brain to be active for a longer duration during.
In the actual GRE test will have added pressure. So, you need to have ENERGY and FOCUS be at your 100% during the test. That’s why you need to take longer practice sessions.
Boosting Your GRE Score with Best GRE Prep Books
All the GRE Test Prep books take a different approach and provide different strategies to solve the same set of problems. The key is to understand how to learn and use the strategy during the test. If you can learn that one skill, you can boost your score.
It may take longer for some test takers to acquire the skill. Some test-takers would pick up that skill within 2 to 3 weeks of starting to study for the test.
NOTE: The score will change over time. Don’t expect a boost in your scores overnight. If you are not seeing improvement in your score, try a different approach. Plus, prepare with a plan in mind. Know your target score and the approach you are going to take to reach the target score (including how many hours to study per day).
Good luck with your GRE Test Prep. Do come back to share your GRE Test Experience. I always love to hear back from my readers.
Summary: Best GRE Prep Books 2022
So, which books to buy? Following books are MUST Have been for Strategies and Practice.
- Manhattan GRE Prep Books (Must Buy)
- Official ETS GRE Guide – Super Power Pack (Must Buy)
- 5 lb Book of GRE Practice Problems (Must Buy)