If you are completing MBBS in India and have an idea to practice medicine in USA, you are in for tough journey. Indian Doctors take one of 2 options come to USA.
- Complete USMLE 1 and USMLE 2 from India and come to USA to complete USMLE 3, Residency
- Apply for Masters programs like Public Health, Biology, get student visa and come to USA.
In order to study and practice medicine in USA, Indian Doctors have to complete Residency in USA and get state license.
Doctor of Medicine
Look at this video to get an understanding of how to become a doctor in USA. It takes minimum of 11 years to become a doctor in USA.
- 4 Years or Pre-Med School
- Take MCAT (like GRE)
- 4 Years in Medical School
- Pass USMLE Step 1 after 2 years.
- Complete 4 years
- Complete USMLE Step 2 (total of 8 years so far)
- Complete Residency Program (minimum 3 years, can go to 8 years based on specialization)
- Take State Board exam to practice.
- Fellowship for additional specialty (another 2 years or so)
Residency is similar to house surgeon in India. But, house surgeon in India cannot be substituted for Residency.
Indian Doctors in US
Now, lets assume you have competed MBBS in India and you want to complete Residency in USA. You have 2 options as said earlier.
- Get Visa to come to US to complete USMLE 3, which is offered only in USA. Indian doctors have, they have sufficient money to stay in US to complete the exam.
- Second option is to apply for Masters degree in USA, get student F1 visa stamping.
I have seen few doctors take the second route. While studying Masters, they prepare for USMLE 3 and once they have completed USMLE Step 3, just like any other professionals, they apply for jobs in the hospitals for Residency.
Doctors are paid during Residency (minimum 3 years). After completing Residency, you have to take state board license to practice medicine in that particular state.
I know couple of doctors who came to USA for doing Masters, but they found full time job for their Masters degree. If you don’t have enough motivation to study USMLE Step3 and happy with the salary from job, you can make living with that.
Hope this blog post gave an overview about options available for Indian Doctors in US. Most of you reading this will be from Engineering background, but this will give an insight into studying medicine in USA.