Before selecting a university to attend in USA, you need to know the Masters degree timeline.
When you make a degree plan flowchart for all the schools, you can compare the degree plan visually.
Following flowchart from Texas Tech University gives an overview about Masters degree Milestone and Timeline.
<click on the image to expand>
Masters Degree Milestone in Words
- Be accepted into MS Program (IE or SYEM)
- Begin graduate course work (non resident alien must go to the Office of International Affairs before the term begins to get important information about registration, University ID
- account, etc.)
- Select Thesis Topic and minor area (if applicable) for thesis major; non thesis major do not need to complete this task.
- Select Thesis Chair
- Select course work for each semester (this must be approved by the Graduate Advisor)
- If non resident alien, must request the release of hold from Office of International Affairs
- Submit preliminary plan of study to Graduate School (must have the graduate advisor signature + minor area advisor signature, if required)
- Select Committee Members and get sign off by selected Committee Members on plan of study (Thesis option only)
- Complete core course requirements
- Schedule MS Exam (start and end dates) with the Graduate Advisor (Non Thesis option only)
- Successfully defend
- MS Exam (Non thesis option)
- Proposal defense (Thesis option)
- Work on Thesis (Thesis option)
- Schedule Final Defense of MS thesis with Committee Chair and Members
- Submit intent to graduation to Graduate School on the final semester (term)
- Hand in final draft of Thesis to Committee Members 2 weeks prior to Final Defense
- Successfully defend Final MS Thesis
- Get Committee members signatures
- Generate proper documents for Graduate School
- Complete changes required by Committee to get the final document for MS Thesis
- Obtain Committee Chair sign off on final corrections to Thesis (Thesis option only)
- Turn in final MS Thesis document to Graduate School
- Commencement Exercise (graduation)