Following post was shared by Shabnam from Bangladesh.
Hello, I am from Bangladesh. 11th dec 2013 i went for my student F1 visa interview. I was not well prepared for my interview but I was confident.
I applied for a pathway program in Western Kentucky University (Navitas). (Passed O levels and incomplete A levels, IELTS :6.0). Done lots of volunteering works.
Here is my crucial experience of visa interview.
I went to 11th counter where a middle aged man with beards was sitting
I: Good morning.
VO: Good morning, pass your passport with I-20
VO: Why did you choose this uni ?
I: Because this the 11th best public university in southern part of USA with all required courses. This uni is also accredited. And i got some scholarships.
VO: What accredited?
VO: what……. accredited
I: yes, (mumbled) accredited.
VO: Which subject ?
I: Hospitality Management/ dietetic. Then I passed my offer letter.
VO: How many uni did you choose and why this university?
I: Look, my friends told me about this uni who already went there, this is very good university and I checked in the internet and applied to this university only (damn O.o)
VO: Can you show me any statement of your scholarship?
I: sorry, but if you want I can provide you it later. I mailed the university to sent me an scholarship statement but they are having thanksgiving ceremony so they were doing late.
VO: When did you did you A levels?
I: Its in this June.
VO: (very angry) if you complete your A levels this June why your are applying for Spring ? why not Fall?
I: (In my mind, I only completed my AS but not A levels). Sir my parents wanted me to apply on spring.
VO: pass me your bank statement .
I: pass it to him.
VO: whose saving account is this?
I: my moms.
VO: Well, (very angry) your mom never used this account, there is no transactions.
I: mumbled, this money is only kept for my study purpose.
VO: What are you doing now?
I: I am studying in North South University now.
VO: typed something on the screen and passed down my passport and all documents. Sorry i can’t issue your visa.
I: feeling very foolish and blank. Sir please issue me this visa.
VO: smiled, sorry.
He asked me lots of question, now I know how badly I answered. Now please help me, should I apply for summer session to the same university. However, no university except this university would accept me with my limited qualification. Only WKU would provide me a little scholarship.
Now I need your worthy suggestions. My parents are well prepared to invest on my USA education. But in this Fall 2013, near about 14 friend of mine got visa in the same university, even some students scored only 4.5, they also got visa. Anyways, I am unfortunate and unlucky.
Do you guys suggest me to do TOEFL and show my father’s + mother’s bank statement (with my mothers saving account with more transactions which I showed them to my earlier visa interview) ?
Sorry to see your F1 visa to Western Kentucky University is rejected. Here’s my advise for you.
- You get lucky when you are well prepared for F1 Visa interview
- Unlucky = when you are not prepared for visa interview.
- If your friends got visa to same university doesn’t mean you will get the visa. That’s a FACT. You should have know that before attending visa interview.
- If someone with low score got visa doesn’t mean you should be given visa. That’s a FACT.
- You said you were confident, but your answers doesn’t reflect your confidence.
- If you are confident, you don’t have to mumble the answers.
- Not taking Scholarship letter is not an excuse. You should have postponed the visa interview till you get the letter.
- If not you could have taken the email conversation about scholarship. That’s shows you were not prepared for the interview.
- Bank statement without transactions is not a going to help you. If money was deposited recently, VO will have doubts.
- Answers like, “my parents wanted me to go to Spring is not good answer.
I wouldn’t recommend to apply for F1 visa again without improving your profile. You need to make lots of improvements. Better score, more courses. With better scores, you can get admission from better university.
Read and understand why some people got visa approved and why others got visa rejected.
Reading 100’s of F1 visa interview experience will get you visa. You have understand why specific answers got them visa. Most of the work to get visa is done before going to the visa interview. Lots of students got visa after rejections. But, most of them identified their mistakes, improved their profile. You should do the same. good luck.