Here’s a travel question from a student who is going to America for the first time and like to know what documents to carry.
I would appreciate if you enlist the documents that are ABSOLUTELY NEEDED for the flight to USA? I mean, passport, visa, I-20, ticket and anything else and what are the documents that they will issue ( like I94..right? ) and where. By the way do we carry our original mark sheets and certifications.
Finally, regarding the post about Hard Disc’s, I’m planning to take hard disk loaded with films, music and a few software’s, would it create problems?
Thank you for all the help regarding my application and post application phases. I’m leaving for New York on 11th August and except for the University technicalities, 70% of the credit of my US application and journey information, starting from tips about right choice of university, to payment of fees, application, visa, right to orderly packing of bags, goes to Happy Schools. Keep it going and the 2011 “veterans” will always be there to mete out suggestions (if allowed )
What Documents to Carry
I had posted answers to same question few years back
Things to Take with You
- Carry all the documents in your carry on bag.
- Don’t check-in your important documents.
- BE ( transcripts, degree certificate, course completion certificate) – Originals
- I-20’s from different schools, in case you are planing to get transfer
- Extra copies of recommendation letter, university transcripts.
- Couple of bank statements (or the ones you used for visa)
- Certifications, paper presentation reports, ..
- If possible buy a $5 calling card with you
- $5 and $10 bills (to rent baggage carts in airports)
- One set of dress/clothes with you in cabin bag
- I took International Driving permit, but never used it (and don’t recommend that)
Things to Leave Back
- Leave photocopies of your documents at home
- Passport pages
- US visa from passport
- Passport size photo.
- Signatures in check books
- Signed whites paper (if in case its required for any bank purpose)
- Copy of your travel details
- contact number of person who will pick you form airport
- Don’t laminate I-20 (inviting trouble)
- Don’t lose your cabin baggage with documents in it (It happened to me once in Paris)
- Don’t leave your bags with someone even when you go to the restroom
- Lock your bags (check-in) with TSA Locks
- I usually don’t lock the bags from India to USA .
- Things gets lost/stolen from USA to India (if bags gets delayed).
- Don’t accept to take care of others bags (strangers)
- Don’t drink alcohol in the flight
- Remember where you stow you bag over the cabin. At times, there won’t enough space to right above your head.
- Tie bright colored ribbon to identify your bags easily. I got with 2 different ribbons for each suitcase and cabin bags.
- Learn More About Port of Entry Procedures (video)
- Don’t panic if airport pickup person don’t arrive on time
- What to expect after arrival in USA
Hard Disks and Laptop
- 99% of the time you will not have problems whit hard disk. (so you decide)
- See you already started making tough decisions (this is what US education is all about)
I could have said, don’t take, but I will leave the decision to you. There is important life lesson here.
If you make a decision, live with that irrespective of its consequences.
You will be forced to make many such decisions. People here will show you the way, you have to walk the path.
You will notice here is that everyone have their own set of issues and things to deals with. They will give suggestions, but you must be the decision maker.
Enjoy your trip. I’m writing this post, just because you have contributed a lot for this blog, helped others with your comments and your are traveling in 2 days.
Have a safe trip. Share your travel experience when you get a chance after settling down.
Very good example of someone who built his network, so that can be used when in need.
Se Also : New Electronic I94 Form – Sample, FAQ’s