Writing an email is an Art, which has to be learned. Writing email is not same as chatting with someone.
Last week we discussed about Email Tips – How to Write Your Name.
10 Golden rules of writing an email
- Use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. [Always do Spell Check before sending]
- Do not write in CAPITALS [ All Caps = Shouting]
- Read the email before you send it (Use Gmail’s Time Delay – 5 Seconds atleast)
- Subject should convey meaning
- Answer all questions, provide answers to expected questions
- Attach Files only when required
- Be kind when you write
- Know when to use Reply to All
- Take care with abbreviations and emoticons
- Differentiate between formal and informal emails
Bonus Rule – Use active instead of passive voice.
Additional Resources – Top 10 Email Writing Tips