Through an email, Usha asks about financial aid and admission. Here’s what he wrote
I have received an admit from Missouri University of Science & Technology, Rolla and Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago. But I have not yet received any news about the financial aid to be offered. When can I expect any information on financial aid which will help me in deciding which university I have to choose?
Most international students applying for graduate school admission at US colleges and universities don’t have 100% information about the entire graduate school admission process. The questions from Usha help validate that fact.
Admission, Aid and I-20
You have to understand the following things:
- If your profile don’t meet the minimum requirements, the graduate school will reject the application without forwarding the application to the particular department.
- The department (that handles the academic programs) decides about admission matters.
- I-20 is issued if you have enough funds (bank statements)
- I-20 will say if you have been given financial aid (scholarship, RA or TA)
- If you received I-20 without financial aid, most likely you will not receive a new I-20 with financial aid.
In your case, you need to decide between Missouri University of Science & Technology, Rolla and Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago.
I suggest you must read the interview with Harish, an avid HSB reader, from Missouri S&T, Rolla about Financial Aid and life at Rolla. That post can likely give you some good pointers about the college.