Many students who don’t like hardcore programming assume that a graduating with a degree in MIS will make one get into a managerial position. However, that’s not usually the case for entry level students.
MIS vs MS in CS
- Yes, MIS and MS in CS are not the same. MS in CS courses focus more on algorithms, data structures, core computer Ssience concepts like database, networking, robotics, etc.
- MS in CS will prepare you to become a software engineer
- MIS courses are geared towards business and industry.
- Without work experience, having an MIS will not get you into a managerial position.
- MIS does offer technical and non-technical (business) courses.
- You can still become a software engineer after completing MIS.
- After studying MIS, you can work as a business analyst, systems engineer, systems architect, software testing engineer, and other similar positions.
- Universities accept GRE and GMAT for admission into MIS programs.
- A MIS program is course intensive, while MS in CS has courses, projects and thesis options to choose from.
There’s a previous blog post about MIS vs MS where I talked about some fundamental differences between MIS and MS related to coursework, including an overview on job responsibilities.
Today I’ve prepared for you an interesting job placement data for MIS graduates.
MIS Job Opportunities
This data is from the MIS program at CMU.
- Mean – $80,300
- Median – $84,000
- High – $100,000
- Low – $50,000
Industry Sectors Acceptance
- 37% Consulting
- 28% Technology
- 27% Finance
- 8% Other
Some of the job titles of MIS graduates:
- Associate Consultant
- Business Analyst
- IT Analyst
- Program Manager
- Quality Assurance Engineer
- Senior Technology Consultant
- Software Design Engineer
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Technology Analyst
- Web Developer
You can see from the above info that students have various options (both technical and non-technical) in terms of job positions.
However, everyone, even outside this line of work, must have considerable work and experience before one can become a manager.
Close to 100% of students get job offers and this because of the name and prestige of CMU.