I think Hunt Library in NCSU is one of most fascinating library in the world. It’s unlike any other “typical” library. By typical, I mean, there’s rows and rows of stacked books. To check out a book, you would have to first find if the book availability, then find it’s location, find the actual Aisle to search. Some times, book will not be there where it’s supposed to be. Now, that’s all gone in Hunt Library at North Carolina State University.
See for yourself to believe what I’m talking about. Scroll all the way down for Demo of BookBot and Robot Alley.
1. Entrance to Hunt Library at North Carolina State University. Consider to be one of Coolest, Advanced and Inspiring library in the USA. Highlight is the BookBot and Robot Alley
2. Number of people working in Hunt Library that hold 1.5 Million Books is just 3 (at the time of taking this picture). I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s need for more than 3 people, when BookBot takes care of everything. Can you spot the 2 people working working?
3. This is the Main Study Lounge and one of many study areas. Notice the colors of the chairs and layout. Above all, the entire library is designed to be Energy Efficient.
4. View of the same Study Lounge from a Level Above. Look at those Green Chair near thew Window with foot rest (or use as table). You may ask, where’s everyone? Well, it was on a Saturday in Summer (in August).
5. The first iMac I ever saw was in Computer Library at UT Arlington. Now, we got iMac, Macbook Pro and MacBook Air. Maybe International students who never used Mac can get a feel for what it has to offer at Hunt Library iMac’s and make the switch.
6. I see one person in the Library. Yay! Ceiling mounted occupancy and light sensors control the amount of light required in combination with natural light. Expected Energy savings is 31%. Not to mention the Recycled Materials used in the buildings, including the carpets.
7. You can see the list of books on Sustainability displayed on the walls of Hunt library at third floor. I mean, I was mesmerized during my first visit to Hunt Library at NCSU after reading the Sustainable features of this Library. No wonder, this library is now being used as a inspiration for designing future libraries in USA.
8. One of many rooms that can be reserved to use for Play and Study by NCSU Graduate Students and Faculty. Game room is one such room. Notice the “Graduate Students” in the notice :). I wonder where Under Graduate Students will play? NCSU library sites describes this room as “Supports the scholarly study of digital game offers a place to take a break and play for fun.”
9. Student lockers to store their personal items. Guess what? Each locker has power outlets for recharging laptops and other devices.
10. One more room to reserve – Music Room to practice and fine tune your skills.
11. Creativity Studio is a high-technology space that can be configured for a wide variety of needs including collaborative activities, teaching, learning. Space includes HD, writable walls. And the space can be configured for Virtual Reality environments. Sweet!
12. There’s a team meeting of some sorts on Lean Manufacturing Process. You can see “Me” taking the picture on the glass reflection.
13. Plenty of Natural Light on 4th Floor Study spaces.
14. Do you need multi-monitors to get your work done faster? You got multiple work stations with Multiple monitors. Notice the rom on the background with writable walls for Project Discussion or group meetings.
15. Hunt Library has plenty to offer, including space to sleep or take a short or maybe long break. This person was awake within few minutes of taking this photo.
16. These Tables are Awesome. They are White Board and Table combined. Very useful for taking notes while you work. I would love to have something like that in my home.
17. Pick your systems – Mac Pro or Windows.
18. This is on the 4th Floor. Skyline Reading Room. Not to mention the natural light, writable boards or you can walk out to get some fresh air.
19. Even the Trash Cans are sleek and stylish.
20. Natural Rain water collection area outside the 4th floor and you get a good view of the campus from here.
21. That’s when I went to Hunt Library. Notice the nice weather? Guess where we went after visiting the Hunt Library? Straight to the beach (Wilmington, NC).
22. Welcome to Robot Alley. This is the most advanced, fascinating part of this library. These are 9 stories high book shelves and you can’t see even a single book.
23. Let’a take a test drive with bookBot. All I had to do was Click the button “Demo the bookBot” and then walk about 5 steps to the right.
24. NCSU Hunt Library bookBot Video Demo
25. Hunt Library is Named After James B Hunt. Past Governor to North Carolina.
Is your college library better then NCSU’s Hunt Library, send your pictures of campus photos and video to be shared here in the blog. If your photos gets published, you will get a Amazon Gift Card. Upload them in Dropbox (or other cloud) and send the link to the folder.