Revised GRE Strategies and Books That Helped Me Score 1410 in Revised GRE – Shared by Molly.
I gave my GRE Exam on 13th august 2011.
I scored 740-800 in quantitative section and 510-610 in verbal.
Revised GRE Strategies – Quantitative Section
New GRE Quantitative section, contrary to what everyone keeps posting, wasn’t too easy.
There were certain questions which required logical as well as mathematical working.
There were few questions which seemed exactly like the one I practiced , but once I started solving, it was much tougher.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY READ THE WHOLE QUESTION
Concentrate because there are certain intricate details which we can miss.
I got three quant sections.
Data interpretation was totally easy, geometric part and probability part was okay too, but algebraic part required whole lot of calculations and logic.
Overall it was okay, not too difficult not too easy.
Revised GRE Strategies – Verbal Section
- Reading comprehension weren’t that difficult, it doesn’t mean they were easy, but they were a whole lot easier than majortests.com and tcy.com
- Sentence equivalence was normal too, but text completion was tough!!! and im pretty sure i lost my marks in it.
Analytical writing section was easy 🙂
Overall test was average and it wasn’t too tiring as some people posted.
In fact I’m still fresh and i just came back 😀 couldn’t wait to share my experience with HSB as it has helped me a lot.
Revised GRE Prep Strategy
Now coming towards Revised GRE Strategies – from where I prepared and how much time I spent on it.
Well I registered for GRE in first week of April and then forgot about it.
- I studied quant for like 9 to 10 days in june then went on a vacation, came back in July, and started gre from 20 July.
- I studied approx 1 hour or half hour daily till 30th July.
- From 1st august to 14th august i studied like mad, 3 to 4 hours or sometimes 5 hours daily.
I stressed more on verbal since I’m was already good in quants, but still I never get good score in practice tests, in majortests.com I used to get only 3 or 4 out of 8 correct in verbal section.
I couldn’t get the new GRE Revised book, so I studied from Barron’s 18th edition, the quant is really good in it, but for verbal I suggest practicing from online sites.
- I downloaded Kaplan and Princeton’s softwares and practiced on them. Solve tests daily.
- 2 days before Revised GRE I gave Kaplan free online new GRE test and got my quants range 750-800 and verbal 460-560.
One day before solved Princeton’s test got score 153 quant and 149 verbal ( God knows what it means 😀 )
For vocabulary I did Barron’s high frequency list and 2 randomly selected lists from major test. Apart from it some other words which were frequently used in the tests i used to solve.
I was expecting more in quant section, but still its okay, my advice would be don’t panic too much.
The test had average difficulty level and if i would’ve practiced more, I could have scored much better.