Idea behind this blog post was from Anu who had asked this question
What are other smart ways to find a job?
I thought about the question and decided to write this article to share some of my ideas that belong under “smart job search” techniques. But, before that I wanted to ask “What smart job search ways do you know?”
Smart Job Search Strategies
- None can beat hard work while searching for a job.
- Treat job search as full time job.
- Use custom resume for each job you apply (Yes, its time consuming)
- Find ways to build your network. ( How to optimize Linkedin profile )
- Use Facebook creatively [How to Use Facebook for Job Search]
- Use LinkedIn (add LION contacts)
- Understand how job search process
- Resume used in India will NOT work in US. [Resume Format India vs USA]
- Learn how to use Twitter (don’t tweet about lunch menu, cooking, spam,..)
- Get your resume reviewed by a professional.
- Understand how to communicate via email
- Stop searching for an Indian (Desi) consultants to pay money to get H1B
- Not getting response from employer? Blame your job search approach and your resume.
- Above all enjoy your job search. If nothing works, don’t get frustrated.
I started writing smart ways to find a job, but above 14 points ended up as smart job search techniques. Your resume have to reach the right person at right time. You have to be on constant lookout for opportunities and ready to utilize that opportunity.
I think in one previous post I have said this quote – Luck is meeting point of an opportunity and your preparation. If you are not prepared (resume, interview) when job opening comes up, you are out of luck.
To give you an example, if you come across a job opening through your friend. Most likely you are going to forward your single general purpose resume. If you don’t have experience in customizing resume, you are helpless. When hiring managers looks at your resume and doesn’t see he required skills. You are not going to get interview call. You have just lost an opportunity.