Here’s a list of 65 F1 Visa interview questions that you can possibly imagine being asked during student F1 Visa interview.
One the key’s to successful visa interview is to prepare answers for all possible set of F1 visa Interview questions.
Many F1 Visa applicants visa is denied because of the following reasons:
- Not Qualified:
- Did not have the right credentials (nothing can be done about this)
- Fraudulent documents or trying to game the system (nothing can be done about this)
- Qualified, but
- Did not prepare for the interview
- Did not know how to prepare for the interview
- Considering, reading others F1 Visa interview experience as to preparation
I have seen so many students FAIL the interview because they were asked unexpected questions and they didn’t have an answer. Take a look at the following chart.
To have a successful interview, the student visa applicant should know two kinds of questions:
- Standard F1 Visa Interview Questions
- Profile Specific Visa Interview Questions
The key to getting visa lies in the skill to identify the set of questions that could be asked based on your profile.
If you did not identify those questions and if they happen to be the weak aspect of your profile, then chances of student visa approval is pretty slim.
Having said that, here are standard F1 Visa Interview Questions you should be prepared to answer at any cost. And some of these questions would fall under your profile specific questions as well.
F1 Visa Interview Questions
Visa officers look for subtle clues in your answers to figure out if you are a genuine student and if U.S. visa should be given to you. Student F1 Visa interview questions are categorized as follows:
- College and University
- Bank and Finance
- Family and Relatives
- Work and Job
- General Questions
Questions About the College and University
Here is a list of possible F1 visa interview questions related to college and university you applied and admitted.
- Why this university or why do you want to study at this University?
- Why do you want to study this degree?
- Why do you want to study this degree?
- What are you going to specialize in?
- How many universities did you apply?
- Which universities did you apply to?
- How many admission did you get?
- Where did you get admission?
- Where did you complete the undergraduate/graduate degree?
- What is your undergraduate GPA?
- Tell me about the university you are planning to attend.
- Mention name of the professor’s you had contacted?
- When and where did you get your bachelor’s degree?
- Why do you want to study in this university?
- How long will you study in USA?
- How do you know about this university?
- What is your academic background?
- Do you plan to study PhD after MS?
- Why did you apply to these universities?
- These subjects are also taught in other universities also but why this university?
Questions About Sponsors and Finance
You have to be prepared for worst case scenarios when it comes to what F1 visa questions you could be asked. Plus, you need to have a solid answer any possible set of questions. Here’s set of questions about sponsors and finance.
- Who is sponsoring your education in the US?
- What does your sponsor do?
- What is your sponsors monthly income?
- What is your sponsors annual income?
- What is your university yearly expense?
- Did you get an education loan?
- Can you show your Bank Statements?
- What is your father’s salary? How long has he been working here?
- Your bank passbook shows large transactions recently been deposited? How do you explain that?
- How will you finance your education for 2 years or 3 years when your bank balance shows 1 year worth of expenses?
You might be asked to show bank statements, transactions, pass book, latest transactions and other finance related documents. Make sure you have them handy.
Relatives and Family Members
During F1 visa interview, make sure you remember the answers in the interview form (DS160). If you have relatives in USA then declare that you have relatives.
Don’t try to hide the facts. It can cause and will cause trouble and end up in F1 visa denial.
- How many brother and sisters do you have?
- Do you have any relatives in USA?
- What is your mother doing?
- What is your brother doing in USA?
- What is your sister doing in USA?
- Your brother is working in USA, would you do the same?
- Where did your brother/ parents complete their studies?
- Where do your parents live?
- You have sisters and brothers and how do you think your sponsor will pay for your education
- Do you have a brother/ sister, or any other relative already at this university?
- Do you have girl friend?
Work/Job Related F1 Visa Interview Questions
- Why are you leaving you current job? (if you are working)
- Show your work experience letter
- What is your current salary?
- How much do you have in savings?
- Do you plan to work in USA?
General Student Visa Questions
- Why did you choose US but not Canada or Germany?
- What kind of good things do you know about America?
- What do you expect after returning back?
- Why do you plan to do MS?
- Why are your GRE/ TOEFL scores low?
- You look like a potential immigrant or I don’t think you will come back?
- What do you know about US education?
- Why are you applying for Fall only?
- What will you do after completing MS?
- Why study in USA?
- Did you get any scholarship?
- What are your plans after graduation?
- Tell me how you can prove that you are going to come back? ( else Rejection under 214(b))
- Have you ever been to America?
- What will you do after coming back from USA?
- Do you know anyone (in USA) in your university?
- What will you do if your student visa is rejected?
- Will you come home during summer?
- Why do you think the university is giving you a scholarship?
- Why do you wish to study in the USA and not in India?
- Why did you change your field ( Mechanical or Electrical to Computer Science)
That’s possible list of questions you could be asked during the student visa interview for U.S.A.
- Why do you think we should give you visa to study in USA?
- Are there any reasons why you shouldn’t be given F1 Visa?