Question : I’m thinking about studying in Germany. How to Get Student Visa for Germany?
To study in Germany, you need to get student visa. Visa is not required for EU nationals or citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
Getting Student Visa for Germany is a 3 step process
- Apply for Admission with Universities to study in Germany
- Apply for Visa with Germany Consulate or Embassy
- Register with Authority after entering Germany (residency permit)
Student Visa for Germany
To study in Germany you need to apply for National Visa.
National Visa for Germany will allow you to stay in Germany for longer period of time to complete your course work.
In order to apply for a student visa for Germany, you need to apply to German Embassy or the consulate in your country.
Initially the student visa is valid for a duration of three years.
Required Documents to apply for Germany Student Visa
The documents you generally need to complete your visa application file include:
- proof of health insurance
- proof of financial stability
- proof or previous study or the degree completed
- admission offer from the University
- proof of German language proficiency (if required)
Proof of Financial Stability
With proof of financial resources, you verify that you can support yourself financially for one year in Germany.
Income or assets of around 8,000 euro are usually required per year (approx. 659 euro per month). Following can be used as proof are possible.
- Proof of parents’ income and assets
- Scholarship from a recognized scholarship foundation
- Bank guarantee ( or bank loan)
- Someone whose place of residence is in Germany agrees to assume the costs for you
Student applicants who have not yet been admitted to a German university or Studienkolleg can apply for a Student Applicant Visa.
It is valid for three months and can be converted into a residence permit for the purpose of studying once you have been admitted to a higher education institution.
Most foreign students – except nationals of EU and EEA countries – must, after arriving in Germany and having reported to the registration authority, go to the foreigners authority in their university town to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying.
Also, check with your Germany Consulate in your country for detailed instructions to get student visa for Germany.
How long would it take to get visa approved?
Since your application will be forwarded to authorities in Germany, the German Consulate requires approximately six to eight weeks to process your visa application. You are therefore advised to apply well in advance of the proposed beginning of your studies.
Do you have any other questions on how to get student visa for Germany?