Welcome to H1B Visa 2017 Updates and Latest News Page. What you will find on this page:
First Time H1B Visa Applicant?
I strongly recommend you read and watch the contents following two resources
- Read H1B Visa 2017 Process Overview
- [highlight] 80 Minutes Long H1B Visa Video Guide for April 2016 H1B Season[/highlight]
- Read H1B Visa Basics
H1B Visa 2017 Updates
I will be updating this section real-time as more updates come along.
- March 16, 2016: – USCIS Publishes Guidelines
- April 1 to 7, 2016: H1B Visa Application Accepted
- April 7, 2016: H1B Cap Reached. Official Update from USCIS.
- April 12, 2016: First Receipt Number Reported. 236,000 Total Applications.
- April 20, 2016: Regular Processing Receipt Reported
- April 20, 2016: Pre-Paid Mailers Suspended for 2 weeks. Alert.
- April 22, 2016: Premium Processing to Begin on May 12, 2016
- May 2, 2016 – Data Entry is Complete.
May 16, 2016– Premium Processing Starts
- May 10, 2016 – First Premium Processing Approval Reported
- May 12, 2016: Premium Processing Begins
- June 13, 2016: First H1B Return package reported.
- June 14, 2016: USCIS confirmed return of all packages
- Aug 4, 2016: Regular Processing Approval (Reported by User)
- Sep 20, 2016: Regular Processing Still Pending (Reported by Users)
- Jan 6, 2017: Few reports of Pending RFE
May 2, 2016
USCIS announced that H1B Visa Data Entry is Complete. Here’s the video analysis of what happens next.
April 14, 2016
Question Answered: I received a notification that I am chosen for the h1b and received a notification from my employer. I’m currently in India, leaving on 27th to US. My question here is that can I complete my interview and stamping before I leave? Thanks. Varun
April 13, 2016:
Question Answered: Attorney sent my application through FedEx (overnight) shipping on 6th April at 4:20 pm PST but there is a problem in the delivery. And also I want to know they accepted my application at Vermont Service Center, if they rejected my application they need to send my application return. but till know, I did not get any response from USCIS. So I want to know is there any chance for acceptance?
April 12, 2016:
- Total H1B Visa Application Count – 236,000 (as Attorney Murali Predicted)
- I guessed 250,00 to 275,000
- Advanced Degree Cap Count – Not Published by USCIS
- Lottery is completed for General Cap
- Lottery is completed for Advanced Degree Cap
- Premium Processing will start no later than May 16, 2016
- USCIS continues to accept Cap-Exempt H1B Applications
April 7, 2016
- USCIS received more than 85,000 H1B Visa applications
- General Cap and Advanced Cap Lottery Confirmed
- Dates for Lottery or Cap Count is not yet available
- Premium Processing would start no later than May 16, 2016
- Stay tuned for official update on Total applications in next few days
H1B Visa 2017 – Expected Timeline
Following is a bird’s eye view of this year’s process and expected timeline
- April 1 to 7: Application Accepted by USCIS
- April 8 to June: USCIS mails Receipt numbers
- May to October:
- Approvals for Premium Processing
- Packages Returned
- Approvals for Regular Processing
For detailed analysis, watch the video learn what to expect week by week from April to October and worst case scenario analysis with a list of unexpected items that happened to previous years applicants.
Common Questions from H1B Visa Applicants
- When will Iknow the lottery is done?
- When will USCIS announce H1B Visa 2017 total cap count?
- How will I know my H1b petition is selected in the lottery or not?
- Who will send me news about my H1b application – Employer, Attorney or HR?
- Is there a way to know my consultant really applied for my H1B Visa?
- What happens after I get selected in the lottery?
- USCIS case status sits says my receipt number is not found.
- My employer is not responding to my emails about receipt number, what to do?
I can add several more questions to this list. I totally get what you would be going through this year’s H1B visa process. People tend to get sleepless nights and shocked when they actually see the lengthy timeline of this whole process.
Most of the above questions are answered in this H1B Visa 2017 Lottery Guide and you can go into the season with right expectations and mindset.
How to Get H1B Visa 2017 Updates on This Page
All the comments are now 100% Based on email.
- Write a Comment with valid email and name
- Check your Inbox – Then Confirm you want to get updates via email
- When new comment is posted, you will receive email.
- You can post a new comment by replying to the email.
How To Contribute
Please post comments below to update your status of any events. To begin with, you can submit your first comment
- H1B Cap – Advanced or Regular
- Processing – Regular or Premium
- Service Center – VSC or CSC or NA
- Applied from – USA, India, etc.
You can then continue to add comments when new events happens for your H1B Visa 2017 petition. Like, receipt number received, approval received, RFE received, etc.