Here comes another post from Reader A about sweet and dirty tips to follow while sending email to professors.
I have split AM’s post into 2 parts. Part 2, contains 11 Awesome Tips to Writing an Email to Professor.
Links to AM’s previous articles
- MS or PhD – Which is Better?
- Research vs Teaching Assistant : Which is Better?
- Q&A: On What Basis a Student is Chosen for RA or TA?
… And so finally the much awaited post on mailing tips…
I think this info is going to be redundant after those awesome HSB posts on mailing I read about in today’s feed (“Yes, professors do reply back to emails” and associated links with it) but what the heck- I had written this anyway! So enjoy 🙂
Sweet little tricks to choose a prof
- Choose a prof according to your profile. You can over-reach if you want to, but don’t be disappointed when they don’t reply. And don’t reply them slangs either if they give a negative reply (hell yeah, I know some crazy people who did!)
- Of course, the prof should be working as similar as possible to the area you have an experience in.
- Check out his funding…..s/he should already have an endowed project and not promises of one in the distant future. This is vital if if u need funding…..remember endowments are being cut off by the US govt now.
- If s/he’s getting a heavy funding, s/he’s “safe” in the sense that s/he can fund you well at least till your degree.
This is a Dirty Tip
Go for a prof that seems to love your nationality. If you are an Indian for e.g., find a prof whose profile indicates a majority of students that s/he’s guided for PhD are Indians.
Sometimes if you are lucky, s/he can become so happy to see one more soul from India in “Amrika” that they might take you on inspite of a sloppy CV.
It does happen…but remember 1000s other Indians have mailed them too with the same motive, so again, don’t get discouraged if they don’t reply.
And of course, trust me, there are an ample number of them, you just have to find them. (By the same logic, zero in on Indian profs in your area of research)
Part 2 – 11 Awesome Tips – Coming Soon.