Happy schools blog has been my helping hand always in my preps of TOEFL
First a bit of me. I want to pursue MS in Aerospace engg for Fall 2012. I gave my GRE on 24th Sept 2010. I scored low in it (1100, V-420, Q-680, AWA-3), so the pressure of performing well in the TOEFL was on me each and every moment. One of my friends helped me a lot to prepare. He is in SJSU right now.
I registered for the TOEFL on 5 May 2011. My test date was 14 Aug 2011 in VIT, Pune. My TOEFL test timing was 10:00 am.
My TOEFL iBT Strategies
I reached at the center at 8:30am. Filled the form and waited for my turn. I was called in the testing room at 9:30am itself. I was second person to enter the room so my test started soon. Please reach the test center early so that you can get a seat early (it will be helpful for you later in the test). So my test began at 9:35am.
- First the reading section it was short so I did not have the experimental section. It went quiet well. Was hoping for 28.
- Then came listening section. I knew that it would be a long one as the reading section was short. First part of this section, started to take notes and my pencil’s lead broke. So my concentration was lost.
Broken Pencil Tragedy
I was given only 1 pencil, so raised my hand and to my surprise no examiner was in the room. He came almost after half an hour. So had to go on with the same broken pencil. So I recommend you to request for at least 3 pencils prior to test to avoid a goof up like mine (try to get Natraj as its lead is quite hard and avoid Camlin Exam pencil).
Rest of the section was fine but did not expect much from this section due to the “pencil tragedy” 😉
Had a break of 10 min went out had water. Came back still 4 min left. Asked for more pencils and rough papers.
- Speaking section began. As I started earlier than others there was pin drop silence in the room. Some say that getting a seat late is better than getting t earlier as you can hear the questions , but i say that get it earlier as it would give you quality time to listen and speak.
- Hold your microphone near to your mouth. I think i dint to the same and my score was reduced.
- At last the writing section. First was the response based on reading passage and lecture. It was regarding CFLs.
- I encountered that we have a lot of data to write but the word count exceed to that of prescribed (115-225). Mine was 304. More than double the lower limit.
- So keep an eye on your word count too. The next was opinion. It was fine.
- Expected 25 from this section.
- Again keep your writing material ready for the section :P.
Today i got my results. A total of 95.
- 25 in reading
- 24 in listening and speaking
- 22 in writing.
I don’t think that this is an excellent score but I would recommend the following
- Solve as many test papers as possible.
- I referred Barron’s and Kaplan for studying
- Take practice tests from downloaded software ( got many from the friend I mentioned in the beginning.)
- Please reach the test center early so that you can get a seat early (it will be helpful for you later in the test).
I just want to say that the TOEFL is a very easy test give your best and you will get the best.