Applying for USA Colleges With 3 Year BSc + 1 Year MSc from India

I m from Maharashtra, studying in Pune University. I recently took BSc Comp sci exam [Final Yr] which is a 3 yr Course.

I’m trying to apply for Fall 2013 and booked a GRE on 23rd July. As BSc is 3 year course. I will be takin admission for MSc Comp Sci..which is 2 yrs course n will be doin only 1st year (2 sems.) to complete 12 +4. I wanted to ask. that all BSC and only 1st sem Transcripts are sufficient or not.?

3 Year Degree from India

You can apply for admission to Universities in USA with 3 year BSc and 1 Year MSc.

Some schools even consider  3 year BSc degree from India.

To learn more read the following post – Ok to get Multiple I-20 from USA Universities?

It’s better to complete one more year of college. With one more year of education, you will have access to several more colleges. Only few colleges accept 3 year degree from India.



  1. Monica Medappa on May 10, 2012 at 6:44 AM

    Is it worth it to spend 10,00,000 Rs on a UK university on an Msc Pharmacology course aiming to move for a PhD in American or Canadian universities?UK universities are a lot cheaper as well an MS in UK is only for a year.Please advise

  2. Anushri on May 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

    I have a 3 Yrs BSc degree in IT with 1 year work experience. I applied to the following colleges
    Indiana University at Bloomington
    Univ of Pittsburgh
    Stevens institute of technology
    Missouri Institute of Technology at Rolla
    Got acceptance in all of them except NJIT.
    Also Cleveland University has a bridge program of 1 year of a Indian 3 year BSc degree.
    So do try applying with a 3 years Bachelors degree

    • Lijo on September 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

      hey Anushri did you give your visa interview?

  3. Shankar on May 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

    Can anyone enlist me the colleges and universities which can offer admission in graduate in neuroscience with three years bachelor in neuroscience .?

  4. Krishnan on May 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

    Hi, The 16 year rule is differently interpreted by diff universities. Some universities are very clear that the UG should be of 3 years duration ( I think one such university is SUNY, Buffalo). Others are very liberal so long as u have completed 16 years of schooling in home country. One of my relatives took B.Sc (Com Sc) and was doing MCA and she left for Rutgers in the III semester itself ( on completion of 16 years studies ).

  5. Siva on May 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM

    Hi, The minimum eligible for most of US schools is predominately first class with 4 years in Undergrad i.e BE/Btech/ MCA/MSC. I am sure this holds good for IIT.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

New Comments Policy
Please use the Happy Schools Forums to post your Questions. Use the Comments Section to add value or contriute to the Article, not for Q&A. Questions posted in the Comments section will be Deleted.